Ayatollah Taleghani Medical Center was established at February 17, 1973 from the Batmanghelij Medical Teaching Center, a branch of the Red Crescent; and it started to admit students from underdeveloped provinces in a non-centralized fashion in 1354.Iran Medical Center was established in August 1974 and started functioning in October 1975. This center began admitting medical students amongst BS graduates from 1977, and from 1982, it started to admit high school graduates who had passed the nationwide university entrance exam.
From the second half of the 1992-93 academic year, the basic medical sciences section in the central Pardis Campus of the university was responsible for creating a program and teaching basic science courses at university level.
In 2014, there were 1,238 students learning general medical sciences in the medical school and affiliated hospitals. Of that number, 237 studied basic sciences, 178 studied physiopathology, 505 completed externships, and 318 completed internships.
In addition to general medicine, the School of Medicine has 81 Master’s students, 144 PhD students, 914 residents in 24 specialties, 68 residents in 18 subspecialties, and 103 fellows in 27 fellowship programs in affiliated hospitals.
Also there are 439 professors who teach clinical medicine, and 63 who teach basic sciences, for a total of 502 faculty members.